ReconnectDonate NowLogin

Endowed chairs, Professorships and Lectureships

Endowed chairs, professorships and lectureships attract and retain outstanding faculty for Northwestern Oklahoma State University.  These funds provide needed support for instructor training and academic enrichment, defraying costs associated with new curricula, professional development seminars, university-sponsored conferences and special performances. These endowments serve to strengthen Northwestern’s academic programs while enhancing students’ experiences.

Chairs are endowed when donated funds reach a minimum of $250,000, professorships are endowed when funds reach a minimum of $125,000, and lectureships are endowed when funds reach a minimum of $25,000.  Like scholarships, donors may name the endowment and designate the academic area that it benefits.  Additionally, gifts are entered into the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education matching program to double their value and impact.

Bronze plaques identifying endowments and recognizing their donors are on display in Herod Hall (endowed chairs) and the first floor of Fine Arts (endowed lectureships). A plaque recognizing endowed chairs at the Enid campus is in development.

For more information about establishing endowments at Northwestern Oklahoma State University, contact Skeeter Bird, Northwestern Foundation CEO, at 580-327-8599 or aebird@nwosu.edu.

 

 

Charles Morton Share Trust Endowed Chair in Education

 

Pearl Louise Marlatt Walch/Alumni Endowed Chair in Business

Jake and Jayne Lindsay Endowed Chair in Natural Science

Jake and Jayne Lindsay Endowed Chair in Social Work

Dorothy Reichenberger Endowed Chair in Music

Dr. Anna B. Fisher Endowed Chair in Biology

William Donald Campbell Family Endowed Chair in Agriculture

Wisdom Family Endowed Chair in Agriculture

Grace V. Wisdom Endowed Chair in Visual Arts

Grace V. Wisdom Endowed Chair in Visual Arts II

Ryerson Family Endowed Chair in Business

Donovan Reichenberger Endowed Chair in Theatre

Jake and Jayne Lindsay Endowed Professorship in Health & Sports Science Education

The Marvel/Smith Academic/Performance Enrichment Endowed Lectureship

Gwendolyn Hollis Anderson Faculty Development Endowment

Helen Patterson Lectureship for Academic Enrichment

Masonic Endowment for Academic Enrichment in Social Sciences Lectureship

Enid Campus Endowed Chairs 

 

Charles Morton Share Trust Endowed Chair in Education

The Charles Morton Share Trust was created June 12, 1959, by Charles Morton Share, a long time resident of Alva, Oklahoma. The trust was created to identify and support programs, organizations and institutions which provide new or enhanced opportunity for religious, charitable, scientific, literary, education purposes or for the prevention of cruelty to children.

The vision of the Share Trust allowed Northwestern Oklahoma State University to be the first small school and one of only three schools in the State of Oklahoma at the time, behind Oklahoma State University and the University of Oklahoma, to establish an endowed chair. The establishment of the endowed chair continued Northwestern’s rich history of being one of the top education institutions in the state.

The endowed chair in education was established in 1989 by the Charles Morton Share Trust. The Charles Morton Share Trust board of trustees who approved the proposal were Gertrude Myers, B. Michael Carroll, J.R. Holder, C.E. Johnson and B.H. Thornton.

Back to Top

Pearl Louise Marlatt Walch/Alumni Endowed Chair in Business

This endowed chair honors the memory of Pearl Louise Marlatt Walch who graduated from Northwestern in 1935 with a degree in business. Mrs. Walch went on to lead successful careers as a teacher at Cheyenne Valley High School during the World War II years and later as the proprietor of a real estate and insurance agency in Fairview. While at Northwestern, she met her husband Jack Walch. They had two daughters, Mary Louise Cagle and Barbara Ann Dickson. Shortly after her death in 1993, Mrs. Walch’s family created a living memorial in her honor at Northwestern.

The Walch endowment was achieved through a combination of generous gifts from the family of Northwestern alumna Pearl Louise Marlatt Walch and dozens of friends and alumni. The Northwestern Oklahoma State University Foundation established the Pearl Louise Marlatt Walch/Alumni Endowed Chair in Business to serve the university’s outstanding business department.

The vision and generosity of the Walch family and other donors have continued the proud tradition of high academic achievement and community service at Northwestern.

Back to Top

Jake and Jayne Lindsay Endowed Chair in Natural Science

A native of Okeene, Jake graduated from Northwestern in 1942 with a degree in education. While attending Northwestern, he was the president of the Wranglers Club, president of Delta Tau Gamma fraternity, a yell leader and very active in student government. He met the love of his life on campus and married Virginia Jayne Jones in 1945. Jake’s leadership qualities continued to flourish after he left campus and became a very successful business man in the Oklahoma City area. His love for his alma mater was demonstrated as he served on the Northwestern Foundation board of trustees from 1983 to 1987.

The endowed chair in natural science was established in 2002 by Jake and Jayne Lindsay. With their bequest, they created an endowed faculty chair to assist the faculty and students in the science department at Northwestern.

As part of their legacy, Jake and Jayne gave to ensure that the natural science program would always have funds to meet the needs of future generations at Northwestern.

Back to Top 

Jake and Jayne Lindsay Endowed Chair in Social Work

A native of Okeene, Jake graduated from Northwestern in 1942 with a degree in education. While attending Northwestern, he was the president of the Wranglers Club, president of Delta Tau Gamma fraternity, a yell leader and very active in student government. He met the love of his life on campus and married Virginia Jayne Jones in 1945. Jake’s leadership qualities continued to flourish after he left campus and became a very successful business man in the Oklahoma City area. His love for his alma mater was demonstrated as he served on the Northwestern Foundation board of trustees from 1983 to 1987.

The endowed chair in social work was established in 2002 by Jake and Jayne lindsay. With their bequest, they created an endowed faculty chair to assist the faculty and students in the social work program at Northwestern.

As part of their legacy, Jake and Jayne gave to ensure that Northwestern could retain top-notch faculty in the field of social work to produce successful students for the future.

Back to Top 

Dorothy Reichenberger Endowed Chair in Music 

Dorothy (Teutschmann) Reichenberger was born and raised in California.  Dorothy married Donovan Reichenberger in Las Vegas, Nev., in 1958.  They lived in various locations while Donovan served in the U.S. Navy, moving to Alva in 1963. After 47 years of marriage, Dorothy passed away in 2005.  Devout in her religion, Dorothy was a member of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church.

Dorothy and Donovan wanted to give back to Northwestern because they were committed to supporting the institution.  Over the last four decades, they have enjoyed a close connection to Northwestern and were more than happy at the opportunity to give back.  This is their legacy and they wanted to make it a lasting one.

Dorothy loved all types of music so she and Donovan attended many Northwestern musical programs over the years.  They chose to support the music program because they saw how it enriched thousands of lives in northwest Oklahoma and southern Kansas.  As part of their legacy, Dorothy and Donovan gave to ensure the music department would always have funding to meet the needs of future generations in northwest Oklahoma.

Back to Top 

Dr. Anna B. Fisher Endowed Chair in Biology

For more than 50 years, Dr. Anna B. Fisher walked the sidewalks of Northwestern Oklahoma State University as a professor, chairman of the biology department and secretary for the Northwestern Foundation. She is best known for her work with students who wanted and attained success in the medical field. Dr. Fisher was a very energetic person who strived to get the best from her students and help them realize their potential to do great things.

Jerome Reichenberger, M.D. of Phoenix, Ariz., donated the funds for this chair because he credited his medical career to Dr. Fisher’s drive and support.

“I want to give this chair in honor of Dr. Anna B. Fisher in grateful recognition of her dedication to her students,” Reichenberger said.

Reichenberger chose to give to the biology department to strengthen the program and remember the legacy of Dr. Fisher.

Back to Top 

William Donald Campbell Family Endowed Chair in Agriculture

Don and Wanda Campbell both grew up in northwest Oklahoma.  Wanda grew up in Cherokee and Don on a farm southeast of Jet. They were married in 1954 and both attended Northwestern State College. Wanda attended Oklahoma A&M College, Wichita University and Northwestern where she received her elementary education degree in 1957 and her master’s of education in 1974. Don attended three semesters at Northwestern before graduating with a degree in agriculture education from Oklahoma State University in 1959.  Both taught in northwest Oklahoma.  Don taught agriculture for nine and a half years, and Wanda taught 33 years.

Agriculture and agriculture education run through the veins of the Campbells, and both families, Tucker and Campbell, were involved with centennial farms. With the demand for quality agricultural programs on the rise, the Campbells decided to establish a faculty chair in agriculture to help build a quality program at Northwestern.

“This is the best thing we could have done with our money,” Wanda said.  “Helping teach future students is a good investment.”

Back to Top 

Wisdom Family Endowed Chair in Agriculture

C.W. and Grace Wisdom, friends of Northwestern Oklahoma State University, were known for their leadership of Alva State Bank & Trust Company and the First National Bank of Okeene. After marrying in 1946 in Kansas City, Mo., the Wisdoms made their home in Okeene until they moved to Alva in 1958.  C.W. and Grace had three daughters, Peggy J., a 1968 Northwestern graduate, Dianna Sue, and Cynthia, a 1978 Northwestern graduate.

C.W.  was a businessman who also believed in the importance of farming to Oklahoma’s economy and the value of investing in rural communities.  The Wisdom Family Foundation Inc. established the Wisdom family endowed chair in 2008 to honor C.W. and Grace and their appreciation for the land and interest in agriculture, while promoting education at Northwestern.

“The Wisdom family has always been strong supporters of agriculture and education,” Dr. Janet Cunningham, university president, said.  “They have recognized the need and stepped forward to provide much-needed support.”

Back to Top 

Grace V. Wisdom Endowed Chair in Visual Arts

Grace Wisdom, a friend of Northwestern Oklahoma State University, grew up in Okeene where she graduated from high school in 1943. She attended Oklahoma A&M before marrying C.W. Wisdom in 1946. Grace and C.W. made their home in Okeene prior to moving to Alva in 1958, upon purchase of Alva State Bank.  They had three daughters, Peggy J., a 1968 Northwestern graduate, Dianna Sue, and Cynthia, a 1978 Northwestern graduate.

Following the death of C.W., Grace served as chair of the board of Alva State Bank & Trust Company, its branch in Enid, and the First National Bank of Okeene. Under her leadership, the bank established a branch in Burlington.

An art lover and recreational artist herself, Grace’s pastimes included ceramics, drawing, woodwork, floral arranging, sculpting and painting, especially with watercolors.  The Wisdom Family Foundation Inc. established the Grace V. Wisdom endowed chair in 2008 to honor Grace and her lifelong passion for the visual arts, while promoting education at Northwestern.

Back to Top 

Grace V. Wisdom Endowed Chair in Visual Arts II

Grace Wisdom, a friend of Northwestern Oklahoma State University, grew up in Okeene where she graduated from high school in 1943. She attended Oklahoma A&M before marrying C.W. Wisdom in 1946. Grace and C.W. made their home in Okeene prior to moving to Alva in 1958, upon purchase of Alva State Bank.  They had three daughters, Peggy J., a 1968 Northwestern graduate, Dianna Sue, and Cynthia, a 1978 Northwestern graduate.

Following the death of C.W., Grace served as chair of the board of Alva State Bank & Trust Company, its branch in Enid, and the First National Bank of Okeene. Under her leadership, the bank established a branch in Burlington.

An art lover and recreational artist herself, Grace’s pastimes included ceramics, drawing, woodwork, floral arranging, sculpting and painting, especially with watercolors.  The Wisdom Family Foundation Inc. established the Grace V. Wisdom Endowed Chair in Visual Arts II in 2010 to honor Grace and further advance the visual arts at Northwestern.

Back to Top 

Ryerson Family Endowed Chair in Business

The Ryerson Family Endowed Chair in Business was created in 2008 by Richard and Johnece Ryerson, whose strong belief in education at Northwestern Oklahoma State University has been demonstrated through years of continued support. The Ryersons, friends of Northwestern, also established the Mrs. W.W. Starr Business Scholarship and the Starr Lumber Company Scholarship Award, as well as funding projects to beautify the Northwestern campus.

The couple met while earning their degrees at the University of Oklahoma. Richard served in the Army and National Guard achieving the rank of captain while Johnece cared for their two children, John and Julia.  Richard, president and chief executive officer of Starr Lumber Company for more than 50 years, served as a regent for the Regional University System of Oklahoma. He has also served on the boards of the Community Foundation of Oklahoma and the Oklahoma Heritage Association.

A family with deep-rooted ties to Northwestern, Richard’s grandmother Mrs. Beulah Owen Starr graduated from Northwestern Normal College in 1903 and later was a founder of the Northwestern Foundation in 1958.

Back to Top 

Donovan Reichenberger Endowed Chair in Theatre

Donovan Reichenberger established the endowed chair in theatre in 2012 to enhance collegiate theatre in northwest Oklahoma and southern Kansas. His passion for fine arts is evident in his dedicated attendance at performances and his support of the music and theatre programs at Northwestern. His contributions have helped numerous students afford a quality fine arts education, and those students and their professors have in turn provided countless hours of entertainment to area patrons.
Born at Mt. Hope, Kansas, and a graduate of Sharon, Kansas, High School, he married Dorothy (Teutschmann) in 1958. Following 18 years of naval service, he graduated from Northwestern State College in 1965 with a Bachelor of Art degree in social science. Reichenberger earned his master’s degree at Wichita State University before joining the Northwestern history faculty in 1967. In December 1992, he retired from Northwestern after 25 years of service.
Since his retirement, Reichenberger has become one of the university’s most generous benefactors and has worked to ensure the funds invested by the Northwestern Foundation earn their greatest potential in his role with the Northwestern Foundation Investment Committee.

Back to Top 

Jake and Jayne Lindsay Endowed Professorship in Health & Sports Science Education

A native of Okeene, Jake graduated from Northwestern in 1942 with a degree in education. While attending Northwestern, he was president of the Wranglers Club, president of Delta Tau Gamma fraternity, a yell leader and very active in student government. He met the love of his life on campus and married Virgina Jayne Jones in 1945. Jake’s leadership qualities continued to flourish after he left campus and became a very successful businessman in the Oklahoma City area. His love for his alma mater was demonstrated as he served on the Northwestern Foundation Board of Trustees from 1983 to 1987.

The endowed professorship in health & sports science education was established in 2002 by Jake and Jayne Lindsay. With their bequest, they created an endowed professorship to assist the faculty and students in the health & sports science education program at Northwestern.

As part of their legacy, Jake and Jayne gave to ensure that the health & sports science education program would always have funds to meet the needs of future generations at Northwestern.

Back to Top 

The Marvel/Smith Academic/Performance Enrichment Endowed Lectureship

Dr. John and Frances (Smith) Marvel graduated from Northwestern State College in 1946. During Dr. Marvel’s 40 years of leadership in public and private education administration, he served as president of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities; secretary and board member of the American Council of Education; secretary/treasurer of the National Commission of Accreditation; Institute of International Education board member; University of Oklahoma Board of Advocates; and as a trustee of Hawaii Loa College, College of Santa Fe and Iliff school of Theology. Frances received an honorary doctorate from Adams State College.

In 2005, Dr. John and Frances Marvel generously recognized Northwestern’s contributions to their academic and professional lives. Their gift created an endowed lectureship to establish an enrichment program that can be academic or performance in nature and will rotate from year to year.

Dr. Marvel said, “Northwestern not only expanded my personal and professional opportunities in life, it introduced me to a well-educated and gifted partner.”

Back to Top 

Gwendolyn Hollis Anderson Faculty Development Endowment

The Gwendolyn Hollis Anderson faculty development endowment was established in 2005 by Dr. Wilton Anderson in honor of his wife, Gwendolyn Hollis Anderson, following her passing. The purpose of the endowment is to provide funds for faculty members to attend and participate in professional meetings that provide information and experience in effective classroom teaching and related areas.

Mrs. Anderson came from a family of five children to attend Northwestern Oklahoma State University as a science major. She was a member of the Kappa Delta Pi professional fraternity, and with an appreciation for music, she played the flute in the university band. She married Dr. Wilton Anderson, a 1938 graduate of Northwestern, a former trustee of the Northwestern Foundation and chair of the accounting department at Oklahoma State University at the time of his retirement.

The Anderson gift was entered into the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education Matching Program to double its impact.

Back to Top 

Helen Patterson Lectureship for Academic Enrichment

The Helen Patterson Lectureship for Academic Enrichment was established in 2008 in honor of Helen Irene (Leeper) Patterson. The lectureship benefits the Northwestern Oklahoma State University music program that gave Mrs. Patterson so much joy. She attended as many music events on campus as she could and especially looked forward to the symphonies.

Born on a farm northeast of Dacoma in 1918, she earned her nursing degree from the Wichita St. Francis School of Nursing. She worked at the Alva and Hardtner, Kan., hospitals and later moved to Wichita, Kan., where she married C.R. Patterson in 1971. Mrs. Patterson worked as an office nurse for 15 years before moving back to Alva.

The purpose of the endowment is to provide funding for academic enrichment. Mrs. Patterson’s bequest encourages professional development of the music faculty and staff of the university by providing additional funds for travel and training and increases the educational and performance opportunities available to Northwestern students and faculty, as well as the public of northwest Oklahoma. Mrs. Patterson’s gift was entered into the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education Matching Program to double its value.

Back to Top 

Masonic Endowment for Academic Enrichment in Social Sciences Lectureship

Established in 2010 in honor of the Masonic Fraternity of Oklahoma, the Masonic Endowment for Academic Enrichment in Social Science created the Northwestern Oklahoma State University Masonic Institute for Citizenship Studies. The Masonic gift was entered into the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education Matching Program to double its impact. The purpose of the endowment is to provide funding for faculty training and academic enrichment.

The endowment assists the social sciences department in the promotion of department events, innovative programs and university-sponsored conferences concerning U.S. politics, economics, sociology and history. It also defrays costs associated with various student organizations and speakers presenting on historical, social, economic and political matters.

The Masonic Endowment for Academic Enrichment in Social Sciences seeks to further spread the knowledge of the department’s disciplines through research efforts, publishing activities and other initiatives. The institute strives to instill a sense of patriotism and an ethos of service to the nation in the program’s students.

Back to Top 

Enid Campus Endowed Chairs

Bert G. Mackie Chair in Business

Harold G. Hamm Chair in Business

Enid Endowed Chair III 

Enid Endowed Chair IV 

Enid Endowed Chair V

Enid Endowed Chair VI 

Enid Endowed Chair VII 

Enid Endowed Chair VIII 

Enid Endowed Chair IX 

Enid Endowed Chair X

Back to Top

 



 

 

 

 



 



 

 



 



 

Phone: (580) 327-8593
Fax: (580) 327-8499
E-Mail: nwalumni@nwosu.edu

Northwestern Foundation & Alumni Association
709 Oklahoma Blvd.
Alva, OK 73717

© Copyright 2015 Northwestern Foundation & Alumni Association. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy